Internet connectivity on Android cellphone [AirTel & MTN]

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Internet connectivity on Android cellphone [AirTel & MTN]

Postby Happy Customer » 6th March 2011, 00:09

Dear Zambia,

I have been trying for the past 4 weeks with airtel customer service and a visit to airtel headoffice technical staff member to try and get my wildfire HTC Android mobile to work with internet connectivity. This was in vain with airtel and was being pushed between pillar and post and promises to get back to me with a solution.

Today I decided to go to Manda Hill branch and try and get another face to face support, and after queing for 10 minutes got to see a representive, who I will admit did start of confident, but alas we hit a dead end again. The support person left me hanging and basically told me the problem was with my phone.

In despiration, I walked over to MTN, by then the doors were shut and closing process had begun. I managed to get the attention of one of the staff attendents and he promptly came over to hear my request, upon telling him the problem, the young gentlemen said the problem had a simple solution and would take less then a minute, so he let me into the store even though the store had closed 30 minutes ago.

To my total surprise within two minutes my mobile was up and running internet connectivity.

With such support and dedication to customer care, I am appreciative of MTN assistance and am now customer of MTN.

Airtel should relook at thier customer management process to ensure that they do not lose customers on employees who do not seek more or higher technical level assistance to solve a problem, airtel may have lost one customer today which may be negligible within greater number of customers, but every lost customer is a gain to the competition... with MTN ensuring that they meet and exceed customer expectations such as staff at Manda Hill, Lusaka branch, they are on a winnng strategy.

regards

Happy CustomerDear Zambia,
Happy Customer

Re: Internet connectivity on Android cellphone [AirTel & MTN

Postby ian » 6th March 2011, 11:29

Had the same problem so i just do it myself if you need internet just setup the apn settings all you need is apn = internet and it will work for mtn and airtel
ian

Postby Unhappy Customer » 6th March 2011, 15:59

Happy Customer, enjoy your honeymoon with MTN while it lasts. Soon you'll know what we know.
Unhappy Customer

Postby Happy Customer » 6th March 2011, 23:04

I hear you and really appreciate the position, I was also desperate for any help with AirTel, and yes, all it was for the APN to be set to internet, Airtel complicated matters by advising all the other fields should be completed.

I only want praise where help was provided, as it is said, it always is easier to attract bees with honey, so lets start praising where its required and hope that this will drive service providers for higher quality of standards..

Regards
Happy Customer

Postby sameopinoin » 7th October 2011, 01:21

i totally agree.i am a kitwe resident who has the same problem.upon reading your post,was very much a customer of mtn than airtel.the guys at airtel told meit would not be solved unless in two weeks times.thank you
sameopinoin

Postby 3.5G » 7th October 2011, 12:00

Hey guys I agree with you but guess what the honeymoon is over with mtn internet connectivity.At first i could stream youtube fast without any interuption and buffering,now that has changed.Even connectivity is now a problem.It seems good things never last in zambia.
3.5G

Postby Lewis » 7th October 2011, 13:45

I agree with 3.5G. The connection speeds are not that good on Mtn nowadays. I think they are beginning to fail to cope with the increased internet subscriber base.
Lewis

Postby Gloom » 1st March 2012, 21:19

3.5G

You should know this, having lived here in Zambia long enough. The standard business practice in Zambia is to start a company on a high note, wait until you have fastened the yoke around the unsuspecting customers, then go cheap on them with shity service. They are hooked, what can they do? They will moan and groan but you are making a profit at the least minimum of operating expense. And at this point you don't care if the business goes bust. You will have made enough money to start another racket. And so Zambian life goes.
Gloom

Postby AFRICA » 1st March 2012, 22:15

Ship's anchor cuts Internet access to six East African countries

By Curt Hopkins | Christian Science Monitor – Wed, Feb 29, 2012

A ship dropped anchor off Mombasa, Kenya, and cut the Internet to six African countries earlier this week.

It will take three weeks to repair the damage. In the meantime, the Internet in Kenya, Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda, Ethiopia, and Juba, the capital of South Sudan, is functioning at a reduced speed. It will impede the normal flow by about 20 percent, according to the BBC's Nairobi correspondent, Noel Mwakugu.

The Indian Ocean East Africa Marine Systems (TEAMS) cable, which connects East Africa to the United Arab Emirates, was severed when a ship dropped anchor in a restricted area – restricted because of the presence of the sea cabling. (See here for an interactive cable map.) The Teams cable was carrying redirected traffic from the earlier cutting of three other cables in the Red Sea, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The outage comes at a time when Nairobi, the Kenyan capital, has assumed a much greater profile as a center of technological innovation and entrepreneurship, largely due to the recent availability of fast, reliable broadband connections. These undersea fiber-optic cables, laid in 2009 and which connect Africa to the world, have kicked off Kenya's high-tech industry and prompted an increase in Kenyan Internet users from 1.8 million to 3.1 million in the first year.
AFRICA

Postby airtel diving em crazy » 26th September 2012, 11:10

hello, please can you post the settings for the APN? i have a htc wildfire s and i cannot find the correct APN, I am in Sinazongwe district and the nearest airtel shop is livingstone - 4 hours drive away!
airtel diving em crazy

Postby Mbaula » 26th September 2012, 18:34

airtel diving em crazy

I wish you all the best. But let this be a good lesson for you. Don't buy hot items. By hot I mean stolen. Better to go legit. Yes you pay a bit more but you also get yourself the owner's manual.

by the way, I hear very good things about Sinazongwe.
Mbaula

Postby Guest » 27th September 2012, 07:22

airtel diving em crazy wrote :
> hello, please can you post the settings for the APN? i have a htc wildfire
> s and i cannot find the correct APN, I am in Sinazongwe district and the
> nearest airtel shop is livingstone - 4 hours drive away!

APN is internet. That's all you need. You don't need to fill in the other useless crap like proxy ip and port.

Postby Guest » 29th September 2012, 04:08

Mbula, I'm not sure how you can even steal something like Airtel so please don't be unhelpful!

Postby Mbaula » 29th September 2012, 04:52

Guest, can you please gimme until Monday to respond? I'm far too drunk now and will be, through the weekend. I learned not to argue and swim in booze all at the same time. see you then.
Mbaula

Return to Communication companies (Telephone companies, Internet service providers, etc.)