Conmen at new Board and Timber Warehouse

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Conmen at new Board and Timber Warehouse

Postby loketo » 9th September 2010, 14:59

Dear Zambia,

:shock: I would like to warn the owners of the relatively newly opened Board and Timber shop/warehouse on Mungwi road (I believe) - right next to the equally splendid Phoenix Lighting off Lumumba road that their workers are going to drive their business into the mire. The workers are conning customers with higher than normal prices. To start with their timbers are not priced even though they are already sorted into batches. They rely on this guy on the till to determine prices for things. That is where the cartel begins. This guy will quote you some ridiculously high price. If you as much as grunt, his eyes brighten as he quickly offers you a reduced price if you promise to cash him (chekelako) half of the reduction. For instance he would reduce the price by a million kwacha offering you to pay half of that, and he pockets five hundred pin! Most of those timber batches are actually already tied together so that there is no need for some ka guy to do fancy calculations on his ka calculator. A price label would save the day!!

Those boys are probably stealing from both the owners and the customers. I feel for the business, because that 'system' has reduced my desire to visit that warehouse - they have some of the best stuff in town, so it is a shame that that practice is going on unchecked. The owners have no idea this is going on because all they do is count the timbers against what the ka guy wrote.

My advice to Board and Timber is that they need to label their timbers with prices or have the prices printed on a board somewhere even if the price is per meter. Right now, the customers are at the mercy of those thieves. It seems that everyone on the floor is also in on the deal.
loketo

Re: Conmen at new Board and Timber Warehouse

Postby Guest » 7th October 2010, 10:49

May I agree with you Loketo. These people make you feel as though they are doing you a favor & yet they're stealing from you. Unfortunately this practice is everywhere & mostly in Indian-run shops. Go to kamwala; fabric & carpet shops are worse. I went to Lamise in kamwala to buy a carpet and was accosted by a worker who offered to give me a 'good' price. My question is: this thing has been going on for a long time, how come the shop owners don't know about it? It's inconcievable to assume they don't know. These are the real perpetrators of this scam. A solution is in sight, however. The Competition Commission Act of 2010 (I stand to be corrected here) requires the business to display prices on the goods they're selling. All that remains is for CC to enforce this law. I believe we should all do our lot by helping the CC by being vigilant & insist that the prices be displayed, afterall we the consumers, are the ones being ripped off. If someone agrees with me, we can start a price tag watchdog & approach CC. If you are in, indicate so in your post & we can move on from there. Let's save ourselves from exploitation. Christus

Postby Sunish » 8th October 2010, 13:26

The lighting shop next to Board and TImber is RADIAN LIGHTING not Phoenix Lighting
Sunish
Sunish

Postby Loketo » 14th October 2010, 03:22

Thanks Sunish for correcting me on that one. I guess that is the power of advertising by Phoenix lighting. Sunish, please tell those people who run B&T that we hope they are not coniving with the goons in their shops because their customers are going to leave one by one. I agree with guest that such blatant theft cannot be going on right under their noses without their knowledge. And I agree with you that the practice is more rife in Indian-run shops compared to black Zambian shops. It has become the annoying norm.

Christus. While my energies will not be well spent on forming another consumer watchdog please post the details of the existing one so we can rat on these shops. We need decency. Sometimes one just gets tired of huggling for negotiated prices for every little bit.

Tx
Loketo

Postby Bambi » 14th October 2010, 03:31

The other day a lady mentioned how the worker called out a lower price than what was on a label to the Indian at the till. The lady paid this LOW price and felt so good that she was happy to pay the worker a 50 pin as she drove off. Come on. Didn't the Indian know the price on the label? Wasn't the worker afraid - so bold as to cheat his boss by mentioning a figure much lower than what was on the clear price tag? They are definitely in on it!!!
Bambi

Postby mister Mister » 14th October 2010, 07:46

Bambi, you are making way too much sense, my dear :shock:
mister Mister

Postby Lady J » 14th October 2010, 13:43

awe mwandini in Lusaka everything has gone Nigeria am telling you....my landlord was swindled yesterday ...[ok may be because he likes buying cheap things] he made a payment towards the roofing sheets to some guys who even had a ka shop...when time came to go and pick up the sheets..the shop was nowhere and the phones switched off....hahaha....its not funny but ...i cant help it...he makes us pay him rentals thru our noses..
Lady J

Postby Patagonia » 15th October 2010, 20:22

Darling Lady J

when you say in Lusaka everything has gone Nigeria, do you mean Zambians have adopted the Nigerian way of crime or do you mean actual Nigerians are swindling Zambians?

It's like here where I'm at, when someone says so and so has gone "postal" they don't mean literally going to the post office. They are referring to an unusual number of post office workers who have gone back to their place of work and opened fire at their bosses or fellow workers. There has been so many such incidents by post office workers that now in american parlance, "going postal" means going mental.

But I will not be surprised if Nigerian have invaded Zambia. The populating of Nigeria is now teetering at around 150 million. A land of 923,768 sq km. Where are they all going to fit? That may be why they are running to Zambia. At almost 12 million and 752,618 sq km, Nigerians think this is paradise and a fertile location for their scams, schemes and swindles.
Patagonia

Postby myway » 20th October 2010, 17:48

Iwe patagonia. That is what we call rumbling - you know exactly what your friend meant! I seriously think you have gone postal.

But to agree with my colleagues, I am so tired of people following you with an alternative price EVERYWHERE you go!! The guys at Impala filling station - where they do wheel balancing and alignment are other culprits. Soon as you arrive they are offering you to pay for three tires and give them for the fourth tire or something ridiculous. Sometimes you just want some peace!!!!

As it is we should stop talking about Chiluba being a thief or Kapoko. Kapokoism is everywhere you look. Let's not even call it Nigerian. These are our Zambian brothers and sisters. Everyone wants chekelako. I am sic sic sic tired!!!
myway

Postby Patagonia » 20th October 2010, 18:07

myway

You sound like the clever one. Why don't you tell me what the lady meant? I am sorry I was rumbling. If you can please forgive me. But I really don't know what the lady meant. Otherwise I'd have kept my big rumbling mouth shut :?
Patagonia

Postby Lady J » 21st October 2010, 13:59

Patagonia,

What i meant was the crooked way of Nigerians...i have been to Nigeria i can assure you they dont even trust themselves there is chaos in Nigeria i tell you..its dirty day light robbery awe sure mwandi ...those of you who have travelled abroad you know how Nigerians are percieved [sp]..anyone noble person can be scared of them. That is where Zambia is heading to ...NOW we even have the mafias of the Judiciary and lawyers....hahaha pa Zed
Lady J

Postby Patagonia » 21st October 2010, 18:08

Lady J,

thank you much for the clarification. I was hoping that's what you meant because having real Nigerian taking over our country is worse than Zambians trying to imitate Nigerians. I think we Zambians are a society with a bit of a collective conscience. The Nigerians lost theirs many years ago.

Yes my lady, I know the reputation of Nigerians all too well. Their thievery is such that they can steal the shirt you are wearing and sell it back to you before you realize what's going on :shock:
Patagonia

Postby Guest » 2nd November 2010, 15:00

apparently, it was the unscrupulous staff who had hatched this scheme. the manager has placed a price list at both points and he has mentioned something about signs being put up.
so Dear Zambia seems to work!

Return to Retail Shops (Supermarkets, stores, shops, etc.)