Loss of final examination results by NIPA

» Reply to this Letter   or   Write a new Letter to Zambia (start new topic)

Loss of final examination results by NIPA

Postby Concerned Parent » 8th October 2010, 15:34

Dear Zambia,
I sent my son to National Institute of Public Administration (NIPA) in Lusaka to study for a diploma in Human Resource Management. I paid all my school fees and examination fees faithfully. To my dismay, when the results came out my son was informed that his results for two papers were missing. I had to pay again for him to go back to school for a full semester and will pay the examination fees again. What guarantee do I have that this time around his results will be available. I am a widow who is struggling to make ends meet and money is hard to come by.

Please help.
Concerned mother
Concerned Parent

Re: Loss of final examination results by NIPA

Postby Miles Finch » 8th October 2010, 15:52

That is so unfair. Why must they behave in such an appalling manner? Is it your fault that the results were lost? how on earth are you supposed to pay for their own stupidity. No, that is not right and it has really annoyed me. Those stupid idiots!!!!!!
Miles Finch

Postby empathetic » 8th October 2010, 18:03

For those of us who reside outside Zambia, we are under no illusion that our current countries of residence are perfect. Not by a long shot.

What is consistently astounding to me about Zambia however, is that crimes can happen in broad daylight and victims seem to have no recourse. No rights, nobody to file a complaint with. Victims in Zambia seem to be expected to tough it out. Be a man! don't cry like a baby! These seem to be the messages a Zambian citizen is told when he or she is victimized.

That's the big difference between Zambia and some of these other countries across the seas.
empathetic

Postby boiling » 8th October 2010, 20:03

Concerned parent, you can't let them walk all over you like that. They lost it, they have to pay. Why should you even let him redo the course? That's unbelievable. You shouldn't have let them. If I was you, this issue would have gone far. They would have regretted the day they started working there because I can't let them do that to me. Call their principal and tell him that you won't pay, they will pay instead. Seriously, do that.
boiling

Postby Analyst » 8th October 2010, 20:40

What happened to Concerned Parent is unbelievable.

And I use the word 'unbelievable' ambiguously. Specifically, I mean the word capable of being understood in two or more possible senses ways.

1. The audacity of NIPA doing such a criminal act is beyond any acceptable parameters of human decency.

2. Concerned Parent is lying in order to win public sympathy.

3. Concerned parent is not a liar but his son is. Maybe the son ate the money, skipped some classes. Ditched the exam and went home to tell his mother a tall tale.

All those are possible scenarios.
Analyst

Postby Analyst » 8th October 2010, 21:17

I thought of a fourth possible scenario.

Maybe the head honcho at NIPA has a son who is lazy and cannot pass any exam on his own.

Now, this lazy son wanted to secure a diploma in Human Resource Management without even lifting a finger to work for it. So his NIPA daddy stole two exams from Concerned Parent's son and maybe stole a few more from other students. Then after stealing these exams, he fudged the names on the exam papers by smudging the real names off and replaced them with the name of his lazy son.
Analyst

Postby native » 9th October 2010, 09:20

Boiling
If the mother wont pay just know that the student wont pass. That`s how Zambian institutions behave. If you try to fight for the right thing, authourities behave differently. I totaly agree with you. The student should not have repeated and they should have fought it even if it meant going to the highest man.
Under our system if you differ with a lecturer he can make you fail no matter how sharp you are or they may just decide to give you a people`s mark (pass) all the time. In the late 80`s when i did college, a certain lecturer kept giving me a mere pass no matter how much hard i worked on my class work.There was no improvement. This was after i had argued with him in a zoology lesson. It was a bad experience.
native

Postby former student » 9th October 2010, 09:52

Analyst, I know you can't believe it but this story is very common. I've heard of many people even at Evelyn hone college who have been made to repeat a whole year and pay in full, after the lecturer loses their results.
former student

Postby Analyst » 10th October 2010, 05:05

Former student,

I have absolutely no reason to doubt what you are saying and what the Parent just stated. After my G12 in Zambia, that concluded all my Zambian education. So I am definitely not a voice of authority when it comes to this subject.

But I hope you understand where I am coming from when I say this story in unbelievable in more ways than one. When you argued with your professor, I don't know if you used derogatory language or questioned the contents of his pin-head or made any such unflattering remarks. But where I went to college, professor usually encouraged students to make arguments and question things that didn't make sense to them. If there was any favoritism in my college classes, it was toward the loudest students in the class. If you simply sat in your corner with your head down and never said a word the professor were most likely to grade you purely on your written work with no other favorable consideration.

But besides the lecture hall, the other unbelievable side to this story is the general public at large. How can such an injustice allowed to flourish? Very common, as you stated? Why? Is the Zambian people's complacency allowing this filthy behavior by professors to flourish? Is it that too many students choose to give in rather than fight? Any way you look at it, it's unacceptable for a student to be made to repeat a whole year or semester and to pay for it because of the fault of the school. It's preposterous. It’s insane.

And this losing of exam papers, how does that happen anyway? In all my college years, I don’t recall hearing even one incident of a professor losing a student’s exam paper. I attended a total of four colleges, bi-coastal. One on the atlantic coast and the other three on the pacific. But never heard of one incident of a lost exam paper.

What those Zambian professors are doing is totally unacceptable. But I really think it might help if the victims stand firm and not give in. Perhaps that's easier said than done. I will repeat that I am the last person to offer an expert opinion on this. But that is still my opinion
Analyst

Postby Concerned Parent » 11th October 2010, 14:20

Why would I lie over such a thing? I do not need your sympathy but all I want is this issue to be sorted out once and for all. I will travel to Lusaka to find out exactly what happened. You cannot say I want to win sympathy, do you feed me or do you know how I earn my money? I am disappointed with you.
Concerned Parent

Postby Guest » 11th October 2010, 14:33

We have no tall tales to tell. You are saying all this because it has never happened to you. Just ask around and hear how many students have been victimised. May God help you.

Postby patriot » 11th October 2010, 14:38

Concerned parent,

do not worry about the one person who said something negative. We are behind you.

please inform us about what the principle says when you see him because this is unacceptable.
patriot

Postby Teacher » 11th October 2010, 16:28

I'm a lecturer myself and I think what happened to your child is unconscionable. If you don't get your issue resolved, go and see the minister of education. There's bound to be someone who can see the injustice in punishing you for someone else's mistake, if there is any sense of decency left in our society.
Teacher

Postby Analyst » 11th October 2010, 16:40

Peoples, do not be so defensive, please. I said it plainly that I am the least qualified to speak intelligently on this matter. Many of you have also expressed your horror and anger over this issue. So why is it a stretch for you to imagine that for someone who has never been victimized by this absurdity, it may be beyond belief? If you are angry about it, then it means you also find it unacceptable. Something that you don't expect to happen under normal circumstances. In other words, unbelievable.

As an analyst I have to look at every possibility. Including the credibility of the story. Have you guys ever seen a police interrogation? One of the first things the police try to establish is the credibility of the victim. Once that's established then the investigation can proceed.

Trying to establish the credibility of the victim should not be taken as an insult. Unless perhaps the victim has something to hide.
Analyst

Postby Teacher » 12th October 2010, 07:06

Analyst, if you are the least qualified to speak intelligently on an issue, then why speak at all? You like doing this irritating "analysis" of every other poster, using different names I've noticed. We are serious here. We want this nation to change. We should be analysing the institutions that take us for granted instead of analysing their victims, which only intimidates some victims from posting here.
Teacher

Postby Guest » 12th October 2010, 09:35

Analyst,
When are you coming back home? You left after G12 upon being selected as one amongst the cream of the crop. If u tied the note in 1998 obviously you obtained your PhD many years ago. It would be great if you came back home and did some noble job of academic services to our nation.

Postby Kay » 12th October 2010, 10:04

Dear friends and readers,

I believe what the mother is true as it has happened to a friend and also my own niece at the same institute last semester. I think the best way we can help this mother and many more other parents and students is to put accross best possible remedies to NIPA management. It is not right for them to keep on asking us to pay tuition and examination fees when they are at fault. We should petition management to be pro-active and do something about that? if they cant keep final examination papers safe, what guarantee do we have that there is not linkage or deliberate marks giving to other students and probably the credibility of the results?? The school is also losing students as I refused to fund my niece back to Nipa but switch school, I honestly cant afford to lose another huge chunk of money only to have other lost results!

Let us all tell Nipa management the importance of final results!

If anyone has a better solution, let us share it to help our fellow parents and students?

Regards
Kay
Kay

Postby Analyst » 12th October 2010, 16:55

Teacher,

Maybe I am wearing a t-shirt with a bull's eye on it. A target. I don't know why you single me out. I am just as horrified at the story presented by that parent. When I said it is beyond belief, I meant just that. That is why I wanted to be sure there is no other angel to this story than what's on face value as presented on this site. There are two sides to every story. Ever heard of that? Sometimes, more than two. Analysts are inquisitive by nature. I hope you don't think that's a crime.

Why didn't you target those who are physically located in Zambia? Some told the parent to talk to the principle and then come back here to report the outcome of the chap with the principle. Is that a proactive approach?

Of course this is a serious problem. With all due respect Teacher, so far I haven't read one post that presented a proactive solution. I have read many posts that simply affirm this problem to be true and common in Zambia. Where are the solutions? The last post by Kay, I think embarked on the right path. Boycott, rally against NIPA, organize a collective or mass phone calls to NIPA in protest. Something along those lines. But am I really the problem here?

Now my dear Guest, the details of my tying the note, degrees etc, are classified:) You will be the first to know when I decide to relocate :) Now if you will excuse me, let me continue wrecking havoc elsewhere.. he he
Analyst

Postby concerned citizen » 12th October 2010, 16:56

This happens in almost all zambian education institutions. something similar to the above mentioned topic happened to me at Evelyn hone college. i was told that i had failed all my third year marketing courses. i could not believe it and neither would my gaurdians because i had passed my first two years courses and because i was going in the exam having done well in my CAs. i was lucky that my gaurdians fought for me. thank God by the time my gaurdian was done with them i held results in my hands saying that i had cleared all my courses. these people do not even care all they want is more money in their pockets.

put people in my situation who do not have someone to fight for them the way i did. The zambian education system leaves very little to be desired. its Good ECZ is no longer examining the Evelyn Hone papers in terms of Marketing. Ijust Hope ZIM is Doing a Better job.
concerned citizen

Postby Analyst » 12th October 2010, 17:14

concerned citizen

Earlier I had suggested that the more people who accept such injustice by these Zambian colleges, the bigger the problem is bound to get. I think if everyone did what you did, this problem may not be so widespread.

Although I am entirely sympathetic to those who cannot fight for themselves, as you say. And I am sure there are such people. But strength in numbers. I think that's the key for those who don't have the muscle as individuals. But bottom-line is, this should not be allowed to go on.
Analyst

Next Page

Return to Educational Services (Schools, colleges, universities, etc.)